Due to its central location between the Black Forest and the Swiss Alps, Schwaningen is the ideal starting point for trips to the impressive Black Forest, the awe-inspiring Alps, and the history-filled Rhine Valley. While it is impossible to comment on everything there is to see and do, we would like to recommend the following activities:
- A sceanic drive through the High Black Forest, Titisee, Hinterzarten, and Höllental to Freiburg - famous for its old buildings. A definite must for history buffs, but also recommended for those who love to shop! Be sure to visit the historical "Münsterplatz", where weather permitting, one can stroll through the Market savouring the sights and sounds, while picking up a few souvenirs. The old Cathederal itself is an impressive example of Gothic architecture. One note of caution: the Cathederal tower is not recommended for those claustraphobic or afraid of heights. From the Schlossberg, one has a picturesque view over the Rhine valley. We suggest spending at least three hours in Freiburg, as there is always something going on just around the corner. For the trip back, we recommend driving through Glottertal, St. Peter, St. Märgen and Jostal. However, for those interested in traveling a little further, the route towards Breisach and the area of Kaiserstuhls is also very fascinating.
- Heading through Schluchsee and Bärental one comes to the highest mountain in the Black Forest. From there one comes to Hotzenwald, the southernmost end of the Black Forest. Of special interest are the older areas of Bad Säckingen and Waldshut.
- The famous Furtwangen Clock Musuem and the highest waterfalls in the Black Forest, are both day trip activities.
- Lake Constance is a popular destination throughout the year. The possbilites range from clubbing, to swimming, to hiking in the Alps or perhaps just soaking it all in while sipping the drink of your choice in a streetside cafe.
- The drive through the Donautal towards Tuttlingen and Beuron is very scenic.
- A trip to the Swiss Alps is obligatory, where the possibilites and opportunites are endless. Zürich, a gateway to further destinations is just an hour away.
For those interested in meeting the locals and traveling the road less traveled, both Stühlingen and Bonndorf offer excellent bus connections to various destinations.